Assistant Principal Recruitment
ABOUT THE ROLE – FROM OUR PRINCIPAL ANGELA DAWSON
Thank you for taking the time to read more about our new Assistant Principal role.
Valkstone is an exciting place to be – our school vision is “we are curious learners, preparing ourselves to thrive in tomorrow’s world”. This vision speaks for our students, our community and our staff – we are all curious about how we can be the best people, community and educators that we can. As part of this process, we are working through a thorough audit of our curriculum practices, in order to ensure a consistent and viable approach to all curriculum areas. After refining our school vision towards the end of last year, we began an investigation into our school values and how we demonstrate them within our school. Across 2023, a full school community consultation (with students, families and staff) was undertaken in order to refine our list of values and the outcomes will be shared with the school community next term. Work will then begin with students and staff to articulate what these values mean to us and what they look like/sound like/feel like here at Valkstone specifically.
We are expanding the Leadership profile here at Valkstone, and this is a newly created role within the school, as currently Valkstone has one Assistant Principal.
PLEASE NOTE: Although the advertised start date is the beginning of Term 4, this is negotiable with the successful applicant (with respect to their current employment).
VALKSTONE LEADERSHIP STRUCTURE
At Valkstone Primary School, the holder of this position will be a member of the Executive Leadership Team. The team will consist of:
- Principal and 2 x Assistant Principals
All members of the Executive Leadership Team are recognised within the school community as leaders of learning. The Assistant Principals will work with the Principal to set the strategic intent and future direction of the school, ensure the effective operation of all areas within the school community in line with VRQA requirements and DET guidelines and will actively work to build a culture of shared responsibility for whole school improvement.
While the Executive Leadership Team works collaboratively, each Assistant Principal will have responsibility for a leadership portfolio – ‘Teaching and Learning Excellence (Curriculum)’ or ‘Student and Community Partnerships (Wellbeing)’. The scope of each portfolio reflects the priorities as outlined in the School Strategic Plan and Annual Implementation Plan.
This advertised role will hold the ‘Teaching and Learning Excellence (Curriculum)’ portfolio.
- The successful candidate for this position will:
- Deliver the vision of the school – “We are curious learners, preparing ourselves to thrive in tomorrow’s world”
- Improve the educational outcomes of the students in the school
- Continue to develop the quality of teaching and learning, through a thorough curriculum review
- Further develop a strong culture of instructional coaching throughout the school
- Ensure the continued successful implementation of Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) within Valkstone Primary School
- Nurture positive relationships between students, teachers, the community and stakeholders
- Focus on initiatives to support the educational outcomes for students
- Set high standards for student and staff performance
- Supervise and coordinate the work of Curriculum Leaders
- Leading fortnightly P.L.T. Leaders meetings
- Oversee allocation of budgets, positions of responsibility and other resources within the area of responsibility (Curriculum)
- Supervise the delivery of curriculum teaching programs
- Mentoring Leading Teachers and Learning Specialists within the curriculum (Literacy + Numeracy + Curriculum Innovation)
Applications for the role are to be made through Recruitment Online, the Department of Education’s online job advertisement and recruitment management system for Victorian Government school jobs.
As part of the Assistant Principal recruitment process, we may carry out pre-interview referee checks. If this is to happen, we will speak to shortlisted candidates before we carry this out.
TOUR OF VALKSTONE
A school tour for prospective candidates will be held on Wednesday 30th August, at 5pm. The tour is not compulsory.
Please contact our school office on 9570-3986 to register your interest and attendance.